Table Is Set

If you serve it, they will come!

Friday, May 11, 2007

spring connections

Sift through all the cookbooks and magazines in the world and you’re sure to find some great stuff, but nothing that rivals what you find when you’re invited for some time with friends and family. Bunco and scrapbooking are great places for this. (Mommy, why do they call it cropping? I dunno. They just do.) Ask any of the husbands and they’ll tell you it’s the eating and chatting, not the cropping. Once home we hear our husbands ask: “How much did you get done?” They know it’s only like, a page, which is why they ask with those sly grins. Then my husband usually asks something such as, “What did she make?”

I think it embarrasses him the way I’m always asking: “Can I have that recipe?” He can’t take me anywhere. Even in New Orleans I spoke with a chef at Pat O’Brien’s .. “Well, I’m from St. Louis … I won’t sell any secrets. Can I pleeeeeeeze have that recipe?” Nope, didn't get that one. I love it, though, when people ask me that question, and there’s only one recipe I won’t ever share with anyone because it is too easy to be true. So imagine how I felt when Hubby’s aunt left with a recipe I served Sunday folded in her purse. I’ve gotten tons of good ones from her, so I was happy to copy one in return.

“You need to stop telling people how easy your recipes are,” she said as we discussed the Asian Salad and the Teriyaki Dip. They allowed me to put a spin on my meal that set it apart from last year's similar celebration. I suppose this aunt doesn’t want me giving up my “trade secrets,” but I meet so many people who are afraid of cooking I like to help them see how simple it can be.

For instance, the Asian Salad. Saturday afternoon I measured the stuff I wanted to stay crunchy and put it all in one plastic container. Then I made the dressing and put it in the fridge. Sunday my brother put some muscle into re-mixing the dressing and I tossed the crunchies with the coleslaw mix.

For the potato salad and pasta salad I called in the troops. Both moms are happy to help with these big gatherings and I’ve learned that I’m better off if I take them up on the offers. (One more thing to thank them for this Sunday!) Hubby’s mom brought her American Potato salad for which there is a recipe, but I must put in some study. After all these years, she goes by sight and smell, no measuring involved.

Likewise my mom has perfected the pasta salad, one of her best known recipes. My brother confessed he can never get his to taste like hers. So I filled him in on what I’ve learned by asking her to make it for me and then watching her work (something I’m going to do with that potato salad this summer). First, let the pasta dry well after it drains. This allows it to soak up more dressing. Second, make it one day ahead, using a full 8-ounce bottle of dressing and being sure to add the marinade from the artichokes. Finally, when you’re adding the cheese to serve it, add another full 8-ounce bottle of dressing. Yum.

Another aunt and I sat down together to eat. I was catching her up on the kids and she was giving me the info on the upcoming college graduation when she speared a pasta shell and said, “I just love this. I don’t usually get to eat it, but I just love it.” Then she thanked me for leaving the ingredient to which she’s allergic off in a separate bowl. “Actually,” I confessed, “My mom remembered that this year.”

Later I saw them share a hug before my husband’s aunt had to leave. You know, almost 20 years ago we started out with wedding invitation lists … his family … my family … our friends. Now, several celebrations later, we have one guest list of family and friends. These people who would be strangers if it weren’t for a milestone event and the sharing of a meal.

Yes, we are all connected. May the graduations and other spring celebrations you share this weekend give you the pleasure and treasure I’m still savoring from last weekend.

Mom’s Pasta Salad
8 oz. shell pasta, cooked, drained, dry
5 oz. sliced pepperoni cut in quarters
1 6-oz. jar marinated artichoke hearts, quartered (be sure to save the marinade!)
6 to 8 green onions, sliced thin
1 tomato, seeded and diced
1 4-oz. can sliced black olives, drained
2 8-oz bottles Wishbone Zesty Italian salad dressing
4 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese

Combine ingredients EXCEPT for cheese in a large bowl, being sure to add marinade from artichokes with one 8-oz. bottle Italian dressing. Refrigerate overnight. Before serving, add shredded cheese and another 8-oz. bottle dressing.

Asian Salad
2 packages plain Ramen noodles, crushed (discard seasoning packet)
4 oz. sliced almonds
1½ jars (2.38-oz. size) sesame seeds
½ cup sunflower seeds
1 package coleslaw mix
8 sliced green onions
For dressing:
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tsp. Accent
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
6 Tbsps. sugar
6 Tbsps. seasoned rice vinegar

Combine salad ingredients EXCEPT for noodles in a large bowl. Combine dressing. Toss salad, dressing and noodles together right before serving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home